Initially, the only information the nurse was going to give me was that:
EVERYTHING CAME BACK NEGATIVE!! (WooHOO!)
Here's my layman understanding (allergy moms... help me out here if I get it wrong)... The scratch test is like a Yes/No test and the blood test gives the severity (fast or slow reaction).
So, although he is still allergic, the severity has lessened from last year.
It's well documented here in my blog that I'm not really thrilled with the allergist's office staff or the nursing staff, but the allergist is the best in the area so we stay. Like I said, the only information the nurse was going to give me is that everything was negative.
I probed further about the milk. (I don't know why I didn't ask about the eggs or peanut. Excitement I suppose.)
Anyway, I asked what the level comparison was from this year to last for milk. She said that last year his level was 0.66 and that this year it was "less than 0.35". I don't know what the units are or exactly what that measures, but it DROPPED IN HALF, people! HALF!
(Update... ie...Forgot to include this: His IgE level for milk was 62. I don't know what this means, but the nurse said that it just tells her that he's allergic. She didn't give the severity level.)
Does this mean he may no longer be anaphylactic to milk? (I'm certainly not going to test it out, but I am hopeful!)
I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but I really can't help it even though I've read stories of people who have had similar reductions one year just to triple the following year.
The allergist's recommendations are to continue to avoid milk, eggs, and peanut.
I also asked why the control on his scratch test was puffy and the nurse said that they want it to do that because it tells them that it was a good test. Interesting. Having a chemistry and engineering background leaves me with so many questions about that... how does one scratch ensure that another is good? If one control is not puffy and the other is, do you re-administer the entire test or is one supposed to be puffy and the other not (like Witt's)? Just plain curiosity on my part here.
Allergy moms (and past allergy moms)... what are the questions you ask regarding the tests? I know allergy testing is not an exact science, but this is only our second test and I'm not sure I'm asking enough questions or the right ones. Does it really matter in the end as I'll be avoiding the foods just the same? Thanks for your help!